Sites and monuments

The abbey palace

The Abbey Palace next to the Saint Pierre church is located in the heart of the Canonial Quarter of the Nobles Dames de Remiremont. It was first built in 1394 and then destroyed by the earthquake of 1682. When Abbess Anne-Charlotte de Lorraine was appointed head of the prestigious women's chapter in Remiremont, she had the building rebuilt. The Nancy architect Jean Nicolas Jeannesson will be the project manager and it will take him 4 years from 1752 to 1756 to accomplish this task. The result is reminiscent of the classical architecture of the Dukes of Lorraine. The Palace has 3 distinct facades: the fan-shaped facade overlooking the Abbess' private garden called the Jardin des Olives, the one serving as an entrance to the Abbey Square, which was completely redesigned after the French Revolution and presents a completely unique style in homage to the Napoleonic countryside and the last one opening onto the Ladies Square where you can see a beautiful paved courtyard and an old ice box that allowed the ladies' food to be kept in cool. Burned down by the Prussians in 1871, it was completely rebuilt in almost identical proportions. To be noted: The guided tour offered by the Tourist Office on Wednesday mornings in July and August (all year round for pre-constituted groups) allows you to admire certain lounges: the Abbess' day room, the wedding room and the large lounge.

Useful info

Languages spoken

English, german


Guided tours with advanced booking, tour of exterior only


Guided tours with advanced booking


Les informations recueillies à partir de ce formulaire sont nécessaires au traitement de votre demande (sauf mention contraire). Elles sont enregistrées et transmises au pôle marketing et digital de Lorraine Tourisme en charge du traitement de votre demande d’information touristique. Ces données sont conservées 3 ans. Vous disposez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et d’opposition aux données vous concernant, que vous pouvez exercer en adressant une demande par courriel à ou par courrier signé accompagné de la copie d’un titre d’identité à l’adresse suivante : Lorraine Tourisme – Abbaye des Prémontrés – BP 97 – 54704 PONT A MOUSSON CEDEX