Sites and monuments

Varenne's castle

MRW

In the 16th century, the aristocracy of the Duchy of Bar owned country-châteaux in the "Vallée de la Saulx", a few miles away from Bar-le-Duc. In 1506, Pierre Merlin, auditor of the Duke of Bar, had his castle built in Haironville. The general architecture of the castle de la Varenne is sober, the proportions very harmonious. The pigeon-house, a royal privilege, ends the left wing, proud of its 3000 pigeeon-holes. In the main hall, both the magnificent and rare Renaissance stone panelled ceiling and the 18th century main staircase are vivid witnesses of the history of la Varenne. The grounds, surrounded by the river "la Saulx", include a terrace in the French style and a romantic park with remarkable trees.

Useful info

Languages spoken

English, spanish

Individuals

Guided tours with advanced booking

Groups

Guided tours with advanced booking

Photo gallery

Localisation

Les informations recueillies à partir de ce formulaire sont nécessaires au traitement de votre demande (sauf mention contraire). Elles sont enregistrées et transmises au pôle marketing et digital de Lorraine Tourisme en charge du traitement de votre demande d’information touristique. Ces données sont conservées 3 ans. Vous disposez d’un droit d’accès, de rectification et d’opposition aux données vous concernant, que vous pouvez exercer en adressant une demande par courriel à contact@tourisme-lorraine.fr ou par courrier signé accompagné de la copie d’un titre d’identité à l’adresse suivante : Lorraine Tourisme – Abbaye des Prémontrés – BP 97 – 54704 PONT A MOUSSON CEDEX

Envoi